Saturday, February 27, 2010

Eating Organic - Really Worth It?

Since starting back at work a few weeks ago, I don't get to go shopping during the weekday. I need to wait until everyone else is shopping too, on the weekend. So we made a Costco run today and picked up the big stuff; lettuce (6 heads of Romaine for $3 bucks!!), asparagus (cheap, cheap), tomatoes, milk, etc. We are Costco shoppers because my husband's family lived in Kirkland (Kirkland brand--ringing any bells?). The produce is so cheap. I picked up one head of romaine for $2.49...$2.49 at Safeway. That is highway robbery. That is why we shop at Costco.

Field Guide to Produce: How to Identify, Select, and Prepare Virtually Every Fruit and Vegetable at the Market

Afterward, we headed to PCC, partly because Tucker was asleep and we wanted to keep him that way, and partly because they actually carry the Shiratake noodles we love. When I walked in there, it was like a bright light shown from the heavens and the harps started playing. This place is beautiful. I have that feeling everytime I walk in there. The produce looks like it is brought straight from lovingly-cared for fields out back.

I have been having a bit of an internal debate--whether or not organic is really worth eating or not. I guess it all stems from having a kid and wanting him to eat the right stuff. I grew up in the 70's when canned food and preservatives hit its stride. We never cared about any of that stuff. Preservatives...bring 'em on. I think that is the only thing keeping my skin looking like I'm in my 30's--shut up, JeffyT.

Peter Rabbit Organics Apple and Grape 100% Pure Fruit Snack, 3.5-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 10)

Eating organic is definitely an expensive lifestyle. There is a definite price tag to eating organic. I almost said healthy but is it really that big of a difference in "healthy" between organic or non-organic? I know the produce looks fresher sometimes but not all the time and it doesn't seem to last as well.

So tell me what your thoughts are? Is organic really worth it?

1 comment:

  1. Think of it this way....Would you take an apple, spray it with a can of Raid, then rinse it with water? If so, don't worry about it. If not, organic is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to make a comment. I appreciate you reading my blog and taking an interest.